Thursday, January 28, 2016

White Privileged Patriarchy Behind the Wheaton Controversy!

It was only a matter of time:

Beginning with my doctoral dissertation, which studied the relationship between authoritarianism and sexism in the Evangelical subculture, my scholarship has Often revolved around the unconscious and seemingly invisible systems and forces that oppress and endanger the most vulnerable, to the advantage of the most powerful. I passionately teach and study the realities of racial and gender injustice and the oppressive systems that maintain them, such as white fragility, white privilege and institutional patriarchy.
I have stated publicly and in my classes that white patriarchy reigns virtually unchallenged in cultural evangelicalism and in the Wheaton College micro-culture. Patriarchy has evolved to maintain and protect the illusion, for men, that we are entitled to be obeyed and served. For years I have taught my students that it is the responsibility of those who benefit from these insidious systems to expose and dismantle them.
I know that many people have difficulty believing in these systems. Sadly, recent research reveals that White Christians are among the most adamant in their denial of the existence of such phenomena as Racism, ethnocentrism, white privilege, sexism, racialized police brutality, and the like.
I can testify to the fact that White Patriarchy exists at Wheaton because I have benefited from it while Dr. Larycia Hawkins was subjugated by it.

We'll take your word for it, professor.  Also, you get docked 5 points in your essay for forgetting to use the word "hegemony."

No comments:

Post a Comment