Friday, September 12, 2014

My 10 (or 11) Most Formative Books

There's a 10 Most Influential Books meme going around in social media.  Thought I'd play along.  I'll narrow the selection down to the 10 that I have read cover to cover (as opposed, for instance, to books that were read to me as as kid).  There will also be many books that I think are objectively more important which I have read that do not make the list, books which, if I would have read them at a different time or in different circumstances would have made the list (Plato's Republic, for instance).

The order here is more or less chronological.  I'm sure I will leave books out that should be in the list.  Nonetheless, here goes:

1. The Bible  
This should go without saying but I'll say it nonetheless.  My worldview (I'm happy to use this oft maligned term) has been shaped by it.  And I have read it cover to cover.

2. Where the Red Fern Grows
This is the first book I remember reading of substantial length (for a kid).  And I liked it!

3. The Hobbit
I remember reading this in my room as a young lad and having my imagination opened to unknown possibilities.  It seemed real.  I wanted the story to have happened.  I wanted it to be real.  It seemed TRUE.  (I still hold out hope that it happened or will happen, but even if not, I know that it's true).

4. The Chronicles of Narnia
OK, so it's not a book but a set of books.  So sue me! I read them all in 6th grade and I understood a bit of the theology.  This was the first set of books that I could tell had a bit of depth to them.  There were places to go but also things to think about.

5. Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October
I picked this book up at the high school library out of the blue. It was placed right next to my table.  I wasn't much of an avid reader at the time (and wouldn't be for a while). But I remember feeling for the first time that libraries contained hidden treasures.

6. The Lord of the Rings
I read the Trilogy in the Army.  They helped me pass some dark days and indelibly set in my soul a love of reading. (Waldenbooks, I regret that I lifted those without paying.  I was a different person then.  As well, I'm sorry about your liquidation and the fact that in a small way I contributed to it.)

7. John Irvings's A Prayer for Owen Meany
This book sparked a spiritual longing in me, though I don't know if I knew it at the time.  Who knew that a story with a couple of cussing teenagers could do that?

8. Steinbecks's The Winter of Our Discontent
The same soldier that put me onto Irving's book (the same one who broke my nose in a fist fight) put me on to Steinbeck.  This was the first time I read a book that I believed learned people considered to be serious literature, and I enjoyed (and could understand it!)

9. C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity
C.S. Lewis awakened my intellect.  "Reading theology and philosophy might be interesting.  I might be able to read something other than novels for enjoyment.  And I might learn something!"  I would go on to read everything Lewis has written that could be purchased in a store.

10.0  Pascal's Pensees
I had to throw in a work of philosophy at some point!  I don't know why I picked this book up in college from the library.  I had heard of Pascal in math classes.  The old cover looked (un)inviting. Here were maxims and aphorisms to live by from some mysterious dead mathematician I knew nothing about.  I knew for certain that there were weighty words here, but I could barely understand them.  I decided then that I would not be caught dead without a book nearby.  I would carry a book with me wherever I went, starting with this one.  Idle time sitting in the waiting room would be reading time.  There would be no more boring moments.  I would read books until I understood them.

10.1 Nicholas Wolterstorff's Justice: Rights and Wrongs
 Wolterstorff's work helped me get clear on some issues for my dissertation regarding the nature of rights and justice.  It kick-started the revision of two chapters mired in a mental morass. It's a much under-appreciated work.  My view on ethics was sharpened if not transformed from careful study of that book.  I think so highly of it that I teach it in one of my classes.  (Monash will no doubt be bored by this fact, but Monash can be an intellectual philistine.  Yes, Monash, I will finish A.S.U. even though there's no theory of rights therein.)

13 comments:

  1. I make no claims to exhaustiveness (or exclusiveness, for that matter). But I'll give this a go meself. [And it is not chronological, but...well, just as they come to mind!]
    (1) The Bible - like you, cover to cover multiple times...and nothing therein could fail to be life-inspiring.
    (2) The Hardy Boys - like your Narnia collxn, there is no one book...but I read these (the OLD hardcovers) from the time I learned to read period...and always loved them. Would beg for more of them, and when they were not forthcoming, I'd re-read'em.
    (3) Christine by Stephen King - I began reading King at an early age (too early?), but I will never forget sixth grade study hall...I was sitting in the school library reading this book, and the main character had broken his leg playing football...Much of the chapter discussed how difficult it was for him to move around...so engrossed was I that when the bell rang for me to go to my next class, I literally reach down to "move" my "broken leg" so as to get out of my seat. Yeh, whatever King's faults, the s.o.b. can write.
    (4) James Clavell's Shogun - I loved the whole Asian Saga, but this one held a special place. Awakened in me a love of history, a fascination with it that I've never quite been able to give up.
    (5) One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn - wrote a senior paper (high school) involving this book. And since then, I've probably re-read it 5 times or more. Love this book. Cemented in me (a) an appreciation of perseverance through suffering and (b) an abject hatred of communism.
    (6) Hayek's Constitution of Liberty - like your Wolterstoff, this is my tome of political affection. Hayek was no philosopher per se...nor was he an historian...but he was more right than he wasn't. And that's enough.
    (7) The Hamlet - my favorite Faulkner work. Perhaps not as brilliant as Absalom! Absalom!, but one of the most entertaining (on so many levels) works of fiction ever written.
    (8) Straight Man by Richard Russo - delightful little book about an academic and his travails within his small college. Hilarious. Read it twice, and have recommended it to others who've always enjoyed it. Just good reading for good reading's sake.
    (9) 1984 by Orwell - that's right Tully, some of us read and appreciate THE BOOK rather than the film. (Sigh) To be honest, I'd prefer to put Orwell's Essays here, as I prefer them over any of his fiction (and that's saying something). One of the most insightful human beings of the 20th Century, easily, and a master of the writing craft.
    (10) Blood Meridian by McCarthy - Tully would've likely been upset had I kept my original McCarthy book (Suttree, which I love)...but there's something about BM that gets right at the soul of a man on the one hand, pure and unadulterated evil on the other. Good stuff.

    My list is so much better than yours. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good list (but not better than mine). I don't know how I never picked up a Hardys Boys book. I remember liking Encyclopedia Brown, Choose Your Own Adventure, and mysteries but I don't think I read a Hardys Boys book, though of course I was aware of them. I've had "One Day in the Life" sitting by my bed for months. Maybe that'll be the next novel I read after I finish Unbroken.

    Shogun IS fantastic. Never heard of Straight Man. I'll have to get ahold of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I've read 1984, but not before I had read Animal Farm and A Brave New World or before I knew that realism about truth is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that you mentioned Encyclopedia Brown...Now THOSE books were definitely the forerunners of the Hardy Boys for me. That dude kicked so much butt. [And no, I was not one of those who could "figure it out" without looking up the solution...] Along with the Hardy Boys, there was another series meant for the same age of audience called The Three Investigators, and I liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of The Three Investigators. What a terrible name (though very informative)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good list. Somehow I forgot The Hobbit, even though I included The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit would probably make my list too. Maybe I should include Harry Potter too. My wife and I had our biggest pre-married fight over Harry Potter. Have I told you that story before?

    ReplyDelete
  7. JS,

    Nope. I don't remember that story. I look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a crock...Monash wants to "hear" about it too...So spill the beans, JS, spill the beans!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, Monash, Okay. Though I fear that some of the humor may be lost on you due to the fact that you do not know my inlaws, as Tullius does.

    During the summer of our first year of dating, my wife's parents invited me to join the whole family for a beach vacation on Topsail Island, NC. Everyone was great, except my now-wife, who had gone on a mission trip to Honduras immediately before the beach trip and was beginning to have doubts about our relationship, unbeknownst to me. Thus, I was highly confused at the beach when she started to give me the cold shoulder, instead devoting massive amounts of time to reading the final installment of the Harry Potter series, which had been released that summer. My wife did not actually have her own copy of the book. She instead picked it up to read every time one of her older siblings put down their copies.

    As the trip went on, I became increasingly annoyed and confused by her cold shoulder treatment. Even her mother got mad at her, and demanded that she cease reading the book. By the end of the trip, things were pretty icy between us. So, with that as the backdrop, we started our 12 hour trip home, WITH MY WIFE'S PARENTS. My wife and I would not talk to each other, except with one word answers. This made for an incredibly quiet, tense, car ride (my father-in-law is a man of very few words). I didn't care much. That's how mad I was.

    A few hours into the trip, my mother-in-law finally turns to my father-in-law and says, "Scott, pull off here." So Scott pulled into a Wendy's. After he had parked, my mother-in-law turned to us in the back and, in about as tersely and sternly as I've ever heard my mother-in-law talk, said, "Scott and I are going for a walk and getting a frosty. When we get back, you two better have this figured out and be talking again!"

    And so we figured it out as best we could in 5 minutes. I don't know if that moment played a role in keeping our relationship intact, but it may have. I was seriously thinking of breaking up with her for about a week after we got back. Had I been left to stew the whole trip home, who knows what would have happened.

    I will never forget that, so long as I am sane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding story, man. Loved it. I had always believed that Harry Potter was the root of all evil...now I'm positive. No, seriously, I have never read it...though I have heard very good things. I just can't bring myself to do it, far too many other books I'd rather consume. [Caveat: I said the same thing, as Tullius would inform you, about watching BREAKING BAD, before finally succumbing to peer pressure...and so I'm far from infallible, I admit it.]

    Your maw-in-law is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JS, great story. It sounds like your mother-in-law is pretty awesome, which should bode well for you if your wife increasingly becomes more like her mother like many women tend to do. I'm still not sure how this story helps Harry Potter make your book list. That young wizard nearly wrecked your marriage before it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, here's my list. I'm interpreting "influential" to mean books that have deeply impacted my thinking or feelings in a major way. These are the books that stuck with me for a long time after reading them and seemed to change me in some way. I've left of almost all works of fiction and books that I really enjoyed (like Lord of the Rings). In no particular order:

    1. The Bible. Specifically Marks' Gospel, Ecclesiastes, and Philippians as a few of my favorites.

    2. The Great Divorce by CS Lewis. It's hard to narrow down Lewis books on this list, but I choose this one because it always seems to be one that I reference in thinking about morality, heaven, hell, purgatory, etc...

    3. The Four Loves by CS Lewis. Again, I could easily add Mere Christianity to this list, but I draw so much from the Four Loves in working with people in relationships (especially marriage or pre-marital counseling) or in thinking about my own relationships.

    4. Night by Elie Wiesel. A short and haunting book about the evils of men during the Holocaust.

    5. In the Name of Jesus by Henri Nouwen. I went through a season when I read a ton of Nouwen's books. This little book is one that I've gone back to repeatedly in thinking about ministry in the modern times.

    6. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. Great book. Chesterton is great and helped me see part of the foundation that Lewis was standing on.

    7. Lament for a Son by Nicholas Wolterstorff. What a deeply moving book. It's a great mediation on death, faith, fatherhood, and hope in the midst of despair.

    8. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. This is the only work of fiction to make my list. It isn't the best work of fiction I've read, and it isn't my favorite. However, I read it not long after becoming a father, and the book has stuck with me for a long time. It is incredibly bleak, but the one shining aspect of grace and redemption is its depiction of fatherhood that is strong, tender, masculine, and self-sacrificing.

    9. Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. An excellent aid in helping one grow in grace.

    10. Christianity Rediscovered by Vincent Donovan. It's been quite a few years since reading this book, but I remember it changing and shaping a number of things I believe about ministry and mission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a bad list, TB. I've read 8 of the 10 of those (well, actually I haven't ALL of Orthodoxy but I'm not proud of that fact).

    Marks Gospel, eh, and not John. Care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete