Thursday, October 23, 2014

Much Ado About Beards

Below is another good beard quotation I came across today thanks to MT.  Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing gets to a classic, female dilemma regarding the beard.


Act 2, scene 1, lines 29-42:

Beatrice: Lord, I could not endure a husband with a beard on his face, I had rather lie in the woollen!

Leonato (her father): You may light on a husband that hath no beard.

Beatrice: What should I do with him? Dress him in my apparel and make him my waiting-gentlewoman? He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man; and he that is more than a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him; therefore I will even take sixpence in earnest of the berrord, and lead his apes into hell [that is, I will be an old maid who they say lead apes in hell].

...
Bonus: In Act 5, Benedick, the snarky man who falls in love with sassy Beatrice, insults his ex-friend by calling him "Lord Lack-beard."

No comments:

Post a Comment