Sunday, February 15, 2015

More on Obama's Mendacity...

Buffoon-in-Chief Taking a "Selfie" ("But he's just like us!!!")
"As soon as I took office, I asked this Congress to send me a recovery plan by President's Day that would put people back to work and put money in their pockets.  Not because I believe in bigger government--I don't."  --Barack Hussein Obama, 02/12/2009.  
"Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength."

JCI retorts on Facebook with the following comments & questions (I put what I'll be responding to in bold):

1) Is it fair to call someone a liar because you are supposing the inner workings of his mind? I think he doesn't really believe this report, therefore he is lying... 2) I really just wanted to know if you listened to the remarks after the mention of the statistics, and what you thought of that content. Are you so busy looking for faults in anything Obama says that you blindly gloss over legitimate pleas to address sexual violence in our culture? I understand that you have an issue with verbage [sic] Obama used, and with the CDC report from which the statistics were derived (which I don't agree adds up to the hyperbole of a "Grammy award winning lie"), but that withstanding, was the message from Obama really deserving of the ire it produced in you? Other instances, I can understand, but this? 3) Fair enough. Comments like those below may not be lies, but I won't say that they are true either. And I would be interested in proof that you have to support these claims. "Obama has no qualms about lying." "But the President has no concern with being truthful." 4) To be honest, I think I have lumped you in with the remarks and attitudes of many conservatives, who regularly reference Obama with undisguised hate and venom. True, Obama is a public official and well-deserving of criticism, however I refuse to believe that means he should be dehumanized. I recognize that hatred of political leaders is nothing new in human history, and that some do commit hideous atrocities. I just don't agree with the way that many on the right look for the tiniest excuse to attack Obama, even an accurate quoting of a report in a message against rape.

Now, I don't know JCI's political views or who she voted for in the last elections.  In responding to this I am not presuming anything about JCI.  I will respond to this as if it were put to me by a throne and altar Democrat who twice voted for Obama.


1) Is it fair to call someone a liar because you are supposing the inner workings of his mind?...  And I would be interested in proof that you have to support these claims. "Obama has no qualms about lying." "But the President has no concern with being truthful."

 It is fair if (a) he is lying and (b) one has good grounds to believe he is lying.  Any accusation of lying presumes something about the inner workings of the liar's mind.  In the case of Obama it presumes that he didn't believe the 1 in 5 report is true when said of REAL rape.   My evidence for that is that he's not stupid, he has tons of advisers, the head official of the CDC reports directly to the President, the President is a lawyer--an occupation which makes a living out of parsing definitions (meaning of the word  "is" is...), and his track record of lying and generally disregarding the value of truthfulness.  But if you've followed politics and presidential campaigns as closely as I have and have listened to more than NPR and read news sites besides The Huffy-Post, Salon, The Nation, etc., and you still think the President is honest and cares about truth, then there's probably nothing I can say to change your mind.  When a lefty like Noam Chomsky accuses him of lying and you think it can't  possibly be true, a conservative such as myself won't be able to help.  If you don't think someone who directly lies about what is in his own bill/law (the "Affordable" Care Act) to trusting Americans in order to pull the wool over their eyes so that the bill passes, nothing I say will matter.  (None of this, by the way, should be surprising.  Zero conservatives are relativists about truth; not true of progressives.  Zero conservatives are pragmatists about truth; not true of progressives.  For crying out loud, Obama learned from Alinsky's disciples and apparently he taught Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.  His mendacity shouldn't be surprising.)

But look, as I said in a previous post, it's possible that Obama wasn't lying in this one instance.  And if someday we should meet at the Pearly Gates and he should tell me otherwise, I will apologize and add, "Wow, I guess you did have a lot in common with the people who twice voted for you.  You'll believe anything."

2) Are you so busy looking for faults in anything Obama says that you blindly gloss over legitimate pleas to address sexual violence in our culture?

Not sure what legitimate plea I blindly missed, but I do know that I don't spend any time looking for Obama's faults.  He opens his mouth and the faults find me.

3) [W]as the message from Obama really deserving of the ire it produced in you? Other instances, I can understand, but this? 

A lie is a lie is a lie.  I generally don't like being lied to.  And I don't like it when the most powerful man in the world lies to his people.  So I'll do my very small part and point out such instances on my humble blog that Mr. French says no one reads anyway.

4a) I refuse to believe that means he should be dehumanized....I don't agree [that Obama's 1 in 5 statement] adds up to the hyperbole of a "Grammy award winning lie"

If there is any hyperbole here, it's with the word in bold.  (And I thought "Grammy Award Winning Lie" had a nice ring to it.  In fact, I still do).

4b) I just don't agree with the way that many on the right look for the tiniest excuse to attack Obama, even an accurate quoting of a report in a message against rape.

No, no, no.  Obama did not quote the report.  He did not say "according to the CDC report..."  If that were the case, I wouldn't have said that he lied in my first post on the issue. He states as fact that "right now, 1 in 5..."  And I disagree with progressives.  The ends don't justify the means and lying to the public is not "tiny."

4c) [C]onservatives, who regularly reference Obama with undisguised hate and venom

Here is something I find curious: liberals far more than conservatives accuse the other side of hatred.  Examples abound (and don't forget it's progressives who've given us hate crimes).  Just the other day from the NYTimes a reader writes:
To the Editor:
Gay rights have progressed with lightning speed since the days when Alan Turing saved millions of lives by breaking the German code during World War II only to be chemically castrated for the crime of being born homosexual.
Frank Bruni, in his eloquent Feb. 8 column, “Do Gays Unsettle You?,” citing hateful words from Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz, plus results from several polls, suggests that there is little reason to “slide into complacency.” I agree with him but remain optimistic.
As a young man I never dreamed that an African-American would ever be my president. Now a senior citizen, I unhesitatingly predict that before this century ends, homophobic politicians will have to accept the reality of a gay man or a lesbian in the White House.
In the prophetic words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,  “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”
JOEL CONARROE
New York
Now I would be willing to bet everything I own that none of the politicians mentioned (Santorum, Huckabee, Cruz) hate homosexuals.  So is Mr. Conarroe making the outlandishly stupid claim that anyone who expresses the belief that homosexual sexual relations are immoral is de facto hating them?   It's hate speech?  Or does he really think there is evidence that Santorum, Huckabee, etc. hate homosexuals?

I really don't know. This is a mystery to me.  Are liberals perhaps engaging in psychological projection of their own hatred for people (Cheney? Rumsfeld? Limbaugh? anyone on Fox News?) who oppose their favorite cause or favorite politician?  I don't know.  I'm not a psychologist.  

For the record, I don't hate Obama.  In fact, as far as I'm aware, I don't hate anyone.  I am a lovable, furry-old-fuzzball!  (How could anyone think otherwise?)  But I do have little respect for Obama given his lack of respect for truth-telling and disrespect to Americans.  Further, I think he's a terrible President whose my-way-or-the-highway approach to dealing with an opposition Congress actually makes me miss Bill Clinton (a little).  
But I really do wish he and his family well.  And I very much look forward to hearing about his golf game during his retirement from the Presidency.

Let's go out with some lying and bullshitting from Mr. Mendacity himself, shall we:




5 comments:

  1. I don't have the time to write a lengthy response, but:

    - I don't think we will agree that mentioning statistics from a government report is lying.

    - Listen past the statistics in the Grammy message. There is the legitimate plea.

    - I did not mean that your comments were dehumanizing. However, I have heard some deplorable comments about Obama from people who call themselves conservatives. I can send you examples via email, but I will not post them on a public forum.

    - The inaccuracy of "Grammy Award Winning Lie" is actually very fitting for what follows in the blog post. It sounds great, but unless you are autotuning or setting the Grammy message to music, it can't technically win a Grammy. But it sounds and that's what important.

    - I'm never going to be able to see Tully Borland again without thinking of the words "loveable, furry old fuzz-ball."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The inaccuracy of "Grammy Award Winning Lie" is actually very fitting for what follows in the blog post. It sounds great, but unless you are autotuning or setting the Grammy message to music, it can't technically win a Grammy."

    There is a difference between an effective (or ineffective) rhetorical device and a lie. In order for Dr. Borland's statement to be a lie, he'd have to be asserting that the lie actually won a Grammy (technically, "Obama's Grammy Award Winning Lie" isn't even a statement, so it doesn't assert anything). I don't think we have any reason to think that Dr. Borland is actually attempting to convince anyone that Obama's statement won a Grammy. He's using rhetoric to express an opinion about Obama's statement. Obama, however, appears to actually attempting to convince America of an alleged fact, not opinion, that 1/5 women are raped--really raped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I read your blog."

    Thanks! Apparently so do people from a couple dozen countries if I'm to trust the stat counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jenn,

    "- I don't think we will agree that mentioning statistics from a government report is lying."

    TB: Actually, I do agree that mentioning statistics from a government report is not [necessarily] lying. Where I disagree is that Obama mentions this statistic.

    Note the use-mention distinction which would take too long to define but is easy to grasp by way of example. Earlier in this post I used the term "bullshitting." Here in this comments, I haven't used the term, I merely mentioned it. My mother wouldn't like me using the term but there is nothing wrong with mentioning the term. [There's nothing wrong with using it either, I think, since it's about the only word we have which picks out a certain type of behavior]. Or take the term "WOP" which was once often used derogatorily of Italians. My mentioning the term here is one thing, my calling my Italian buddy John S. a WOP is an entirely different matter.

    If I walk into my classroom and say "Obama said the other night that right now, nearly one in five women in America has been the victim of rape or attempted rape" I have mentioned what Obama says (what follows "that" in the sentence is what I mention him as saying). If, however, I walk into the classroom and say "Right now, nearly one in five women in America has been the victim of rape or attempted rape" and then I go on to say that this is really alarming and students should go online and take the pledge, etc., I have not mentioned what he says I have used what he said to get my students to believe that it's true that 1 in 5 women have been the victims, etc. If I didn't believe that what I said was true, then I lied to my students to get them to take the pledge. Students will have taken me to be asserting as true that 1 in 5....

    "- Listen past the statistics in the Grammy message. There is the legitimate plea."

    No one is saying that rape is a trivial thing or that nothing should be done about it. But progressives and conservatives will definitely disagree on the causes of it, what should be done about families and education about sexual morality, the best ways to minimize it via the justice system, etc.

    Re: Dehumanizing. Yeah, sure. Just read an open comments section at about any news site and you'll find that sort of thing going on from both sides. (That's why I don't have open comments).

    "- The inaccuracy of "Grammy Award Winning Lie" is actually very fitting for what follows in the blog post. It sounds great"

    No one who reads that title should take it literally. I don't even know what a Grammy Award Winning Lie would be, taken literally. The Grammy's give awards for music, not lies. It should be read figuratively, drawing attention to (what I take to be) Obama's lie at the Grammys.

    "- I'm never going to be able to see Tully Borland again without thinking of the words "loveable, furry old fuzz-ball.""

    It is 100% true (figuratively, not literally)!

    ReplyDelete